Do you want to teach the “extras” like a music and art curriculum, but don’t know where to start?
Does it take so much planning, or so much time, that it doesn’t quite make it into your day?
We want kids to hear the greatest works in music, and see the greatest works in art.
My husband and I are both classically trained musicians, and we are both educators. So, when we started designing our children’s education, we naturally wanted them to have enrichment in art & music. For years, I have searched for a Music & Art Enrichment curriculum that met my criteria:
- Open up & go, no prep work
- Covers both art and music
- Interdisciplinary (elements of history, geography included)
- Short lessons, about 10 minutes per day (in our case, to incorporate into Morning Time)
- Versatile for various ages and seasons of life
- Encourages critical thinking and creative, open-ended discussions
- Accessible on a budget
Can you believe that I couldn’t find a curriculum that checked everything off my list?
As far as I could tell, it didn’t exist — so we created it.
Introducing: The Greatest Works Tour
In this 30-week curriculum, we journey through history with the great artists and composers. Students will not only be able to recognize great works of art & music, but also analyze qualities such as dynamics, tempo, mood, instrumentation (for music) and contrast, color theory, perspective, light (for art).
How I have LOOOOOOVED taking my kids on this journey — recognizing pieces they’ve heard before & falling in love with new ones, dwelling on a painting at the museum with trained eyes, having discussions about art turn into discussions about life — it’s all happened through the Greatest Works Tour.
We designed the Greatest Works Tour to be customizable for your student’s ages and your family’s stage of life. Here’s how:
- The Teacher Guide is fully digital – at your fingertips always. It has all the information & over 200 links you need to share this journey with your child. Open it up on your computer or mobile device and be ready to teach instantly!
- The Student Guide, to enhance your student’s experience, can be printed or remain digital.
- Or, use the Student Activity Book, which can be printed for hands-on, interactive learning and includes daily activities to keep kids of all ages engaged.
- Sample 3, 4, and 5-day lesson plans show how to customize lessons for your schedule (the 5-day plan is only 10 minutes a day!)
Each week, we cover a great artist or composer from the Renaissance to Modern period. Each week covers:
- Fast Facts: a short biography including a map of their country of origin
- 4 Greatest Works: including a picture, Fast Facts, Key Word, and “What Do You Think?” discussion questions
- Meet the Instrument: for each composer, a closer look at an instrument in the orchestra
- Try This!: an interactive activity related to the week’s lesson
- Handwriting & Cursive Practice: copy work related to the artist or composer
There really is nothing else like it.
- How to use Greatest Works Tour, including sample 3-, 4-, and 5-day lesson plans
- Overviews of each time period
- Recommended book lists for each time period
- Links to composer/artist picture and bio
- At This Time in History facts for historical context
- Links to greatest works images, videos
- Information on key words, discussion questions, and Try This! activities
- Links to Meet The Instrument videos
- Artist/Composer picture, Fast Facts, and map of country of origin
- Four Greatest Works with a picture, Fast Facts, Key Word, and What Do You Think? discussion questions
- Meet the Instrument spotlights with each composer
- Try This! interactive activity about the week’s lesson
- Handwriting Practice about the week’s lesson
- Cursive Practice about the week’s lesson
- All the same information in the Student Guide, PLUS — for more hands-on learning, all pictures & maps are in a separate section for students to cut and glue on the pages.
That’s over 400 pages of content for about $1 per week! That’s it – no other books or supplies to purchase.
While this was designed with home educators in mind, this curriculum can easily be used with any family. If you have 10 minutes a day (or less than an hour a week), you can open your child’s world using the Greatest Works Tour. (If you are a co-op, school or other group, please contact us for purchasing)
Wondering what we’re covering Year 1? Click here to see the list! (Your favorites didn’t make the Year 1 list? Don’t worry – both Year 2 and 3 will be added during the 2018-2019 school year!)